- April is National Poetry Month! all month long, so expect poems and poetry related posts on that "craft or sullen art.
- "Cibola's "March Mudness" exhibit runs through April (would that make it "April M
- April, 2007 issue of Lunarosity, an online literary journal, also calling for poetry, short fiction and creative non-fiction submissions for fall 2007.
- MasterWorks of New Mexico Spring Art Show in Albuquerque, a month-long event beginning March 30 and continuing throughout April at Expo New Mexico, the State Fairgrounds, Hispanic Arts Building; includes four juried art exhibitions, workshops, demonstrations and a "Paint-In" with still lifes and live models open to all aspiring or experienced painters.
- Call for Artists & Artisans for the 2007 Mountainair Arts Tour. Email MMACtour@Mountainair-NM.com or Call . Registration form and more details online.
- April 1 - April Fool's Day (no, the following April 1 listing is not a joke). Top 100 April Fools Day Hoaxes (as judged by notoriety, absurdity, and number of people duped).
- April 1 - Notations: an exhibit by Rainbow Artists opens at UNM School of Music, 310 Washington SE; reception 3-5 p.m. Works on exhibit until May 31: 9-7 Mon-Thu, Fri 9-6, Sat 9-3. Phone 266-3474 or 575-5556.
- April 3 - Chamber of Commerce, 11:30 am, lunch meeting, Shaffer Hotel Conference Room
- April 4, 1st Wednesday Potluck, Denise & George Roberts, starts 5/5:30 pm, S. Main. Bring offering to penates et lares of hospitality among exiles, preferably not burnt.
- April 5 - NEW Bookmobile - April 5, 2:30-3:45 pm, in front of Mountainair Community Library
- April 6 - Mountain Friends Buyers' Coop (from Shop Natural - leave order & payment at Meds & More for Tom Willmon) and S.H.A.R.E. (847-0104) ordering deadlines
- April 6 - Peace & Sustainability Fair, 11 am - 7 pm, UNM Student Union. Contact: Susi Knoblauch, Office of International Programs and Studies, 2111 Mesa Vista Hall, UNM, call 505-277-4032 or email email@example.com
- April 7 - Open House & forge art demo at Dragon Ash Forge
- April 8 - Easter Sunday, always the sunday immediately following the first full moon after the vernal (spring) equinox.
- April 11 - 10 am, Biomass Plant hearings, Estancia Community Center
- April 12 - 6 pm, meeting with Rhonda King about Biomass Plant, Estancia Community Center
- April 13-15 - Performance at Harwood Art Center, 5th Annual Celebration of National Poetry Month. , 1114 7th St. NW at Mountain Road, 505-242-6367
- April 14 - ATC Workshop at the Wayward Elf (Ruth Ballen's studio). Contact Meg Chobanian. More about ATCs - descriptions, examples, ideas, instructions, etc.
- April 21 - S.H.A.R.E. box pick up day, Nazarene Church, 9 am (approx)
- April 22 - Earth Day (Think Global - Act Local: It's more complex & less nimby than biomass)
- April 22 - Mountainair Gymkhana Rodeo, starting 7 am, rodeo grounds off NM 55 S. Call Sonja Greene, 847-0535, or Red Kingston, 847-2708. Don't miss this one - see the turnout for yourself and the enthusiasm this event generates...
April 2 - exhibit of 40 pastel artists, Arts AllianceGallery, Courtyard at San Mateo and Lomas, Albuquerque.
- In My Craft or Sullen Art
In my craft or sullen art
Exercised in the still night
When only the moon rages
And the lovers lie abed
With all their griefs in their arms,
I labor by singing light
Not for ambition or bread
Or the strut and trade of charms
On the ivory stages
But for the common wages
Of their most secret heart.
Not for the proud man apart
From the raging moon I write
On these spindrift pages
Nor for the towering dead
With their nightingales and psalms
But for the lovers, their arms
Round the griefs of the ages,
Who pay no praise or wages
Nor heed my craft or art.
- (Dylan Thomas, 1914-1953)